Sign Up Twitter

Campus Development

“We All Missed Hilden Gibson”

April 1, 1955

Dr. Hilden Gibson, a popular political science professor and strong supporter of KU’s cooperative housing movement, unexpectedly passes away, inspiring the men of 1614 Kentucky Street to name their co-op in his honor.

Keeping Beauty

August 5, 1997

KU Chancellor Robert Hemenway adds the final touches to the University’s campus plan.

Launching the Satellite Union

November 1, 1977

Ground is broken for the construction of the Satellite Student Union, now known as the Burge Student Union that was named in honor of Frank Burge, longtime director of the Kansas Union.

Lost And Found

May 26, 1953

The KU Endowment Association acquires Pioneer Cemetery, Lawrence’s first burial ground, after Chancellor Franklin Murphy and his daughters stumble upon the neglected site.

Principle Residence

February 1, 1951

The men of the just established Rochdale Co-op begin their first semester of classes from their new Ohio Street home.

Prairie Tales

June 4, 1932

KU's Prairie Acre is formally set aside to “preserve Nature’s sweet fashion of making Her own garden.”

KU’s “Fairy Godmother”

September 14, 1926

Elizabeth M. Watkins begins building her philanthropic legacy to the University of Kansas with the opening of Watkins Scholarship Hall, named in honor of her late husband.

“We Can’t Lose The Medical School”

June 21, 1920

In a special referendum, Rosedale voters approve a $30,000 bond issue, enabling acquisition of today’s KU Medical Center campus site and convincing state legislators to approve $435,000 for a new hospital and other Medical School additions.