Sign Up Twitter

Student Life

Artful Lodgers

January 22, 1946

Amid a post-World War II campus housing crunch, the University Daily Kansan reports that 80 male students – nearly all returned veterans – will soon move into the basement of present-day Spooner Hall, then known as the Spooner-Thayer Museum of Art.

Gather Together

January 12, 1922

The Young Women’s Christian Association acquires Henley House, which will become a “gathering place” for KU women and the scene of an “experiment” in integrated undergraduate student housing.

Hall To The Chief

March 6, 1947

The University of Kansas signs a lease for a new residence hall that will take the name of a famed Kansa chief – thanks to a set of hand-me-down silverware.

Chant’s Encounters

February 4, 1941

The Rock Chalk Co-op, housing approximately 25 men in a rented Rhode Island Street home, begins its formal existence in time for the start of spring semester 1941 classes.

No More Hobohemia

November 22, 1939

The University Daily Kansan records the passing of Hobo Day, an often rowdy “annual festival of rags” in which KU students dressed in hobo costumes to show school spirit and cause “a great deal of unnecessary trouble.”

Marry On

April 18, 1941

The KU School of Medicine drops its prohibition against marriage for nursing students.

The Lime Of Their Lives

January 24, 1942

The KU Endowment Association announces acquisition of the house that will become Jolliffe Hall, a building that will serve variously as a residence hall for undergraduate men and women, and be slathered in lime green paint for much of its existence.

The End of Joe’s Run

May 16, 1980

Joe Smith, owner of the popular late-night spot Joe's Bakery, retires from the daily operation of the store after 28 years. His son Ralph re-opens the operation when classes resume in the fall.

Launching the Satellite Union

November 1, 1977

Ground is broken for the construction of the Satellite Student Union, now known as the Burge Student Union that was named in honor of Frank Burge, longtime director of the Kansas Union.

Foster Care

December 4, 1955

After serving as “temporary” women’s housing for 12 years, Foster Hall finally becomes a men’s scholarship residence as originally intended.

Mixed Doubles

February 19, 1951

The University Daily Kansan reports on the formation of what is thought to be the country’s first housing co-op for married students.

The Unmentionables

Night Moves

May 20, 1952

Approximately 1,500 undergraduate KU men engage in the largest panty raid in the University’s history.

The Pines Of Mount Oread

September 18, 1950

The Twin Pines Co-op, housing 25 men in a rented Ohio Street home, begins its formal existence in time for the start of the fall 1950 semester.