The Kenneth Spencer Research Library marks the fortieth anniversary of the founding of the Wilcox Collection of Contemporary Political Movements, which takes as its mission the preservation of materials from America's radical political fringe.
Giving to KU
The KU Endowment Association announces acquisition of the house that will become Jolliffe Hall, a building that will serve variously as a residence hall for undergraduate men and women, and be slathered in lime green paint for much of its existence.
KU bestows its highest award, the Distinguished Service Citation, upon Philip F. Anschutz for his record of philanthropy, community service and support of humanitarian causes.
KU announces that its 1887 powerhouse building will be transformed into a new home for the Hall Center for the Humanities.
Richard “Dick” Wright, a music professor at KU, KANU radio personality and one of the two founders of KU’s Archive of Recorded Sound, passes away.
Spooner Hall, the oldest continuously used academic building on the campus of the University of Kansas, marks its one-hundredth anniversary.
KU dedicates the new Regents Center, the first building on the University’s Edwards Campus in Johnson County.
KU dedicates the $13.9 million Marian and Fred Anschutz Science Library.
The Memorial Carillon and Campanile, a monument to the 277 KU men and women who died in World War II, is formally dedicated atop Mount Oread.
KU comes into uncontested control of one of the world’s foremost ornithological libraries—its first major acquisition of rare books—when the Kansas Supreme Court rules that an agreement signed more than four years earlier by Ralph Ellis, Jr. is valid as a will.
Danforth Chapel is officially dedicated.
KU begins renovations that will transform the former official chancellor’s residence at 1345 Louisiana Street into a men’s scholarship dormitory known as Carruth Hall.
The Summer Session Kansan announces that renovations are nearly complete on “The Outlook,” the new official KU chancellor’s residence – a willed gift from the recently deceased University benefactress Elizabeth Watkins.
Watkins Memorial Hospital is officially opened in what is now present-day Twente Hall.