Sign Up Twitter

Buildings

The Bells Of Mt. Oread

May 27, 1951

The Memorial Carillon and Campanile, a monument to the 277 KU men and women who died in World War II, is formally dedicated atop Mount Oread.

Principle Residence

February 1, 1951

The men of the just established Rochdale Co-op begin their first semester of classes from their new Ohio Street home.

A Bunch Of SOBs

October 8, 1949

The University announces that a recently acquired Louisiana Street home will be called Oliver Hall, in honor of KU’s first chancellor, paving the way for it to become part of a two-house complex known as Sterling-Oliver that will join KU’s scholarship hall system.

Bleacher Creature

November 15, 1946

Male students begin moving into makeshift quarters underneath the east-wing stands of Memorial Stadium, an emergency post-World War II housing arrangement known as McCook Hall.

“We Were Out to Save the World”

October 9, 1946

The University Daily Kansan reports the opening of a new cooperative living residence on Massachusetts Street named after KU student Don Henry, who had been killed while serving with the Loyalist side in the Spanish Civil War.

Independents’ Hall

May 22, 1946

Kansas Governor Andrew Schoeppel announces that KU will receive a surplus US Army barracks building, a structure that will become the 160-man dormitory known as Oread Hall.

Indiana’s Zone

October 2, 1942

The University announces that a newly acquired residence hall at 1011 Indiana Street has been named in honor of former longtime KU English professor Dr. Edwin M. Hopkins.

Priority Won

December 12, 1941

After obtaining a federal priority rating by agreeing that Lindley Hall would “assume defense tasks” for the duration of World War II, KU begins work on the construction of its new mineral industries building.

“An Old Friend”

June 26, 1940

KU begins renovations that will transform the former official chancellor’s residence at 1345 Louisiana Street into a men’s scholarship dormitory known as Carruth Hall.

Templin On The Mount

June 10, 1940

University Chancellor Deane W. Malott announces that a recently acquired mansion being transformed into a men’s scholarship hall will be named in honor of Olin Templin, longtime KU administrator and professor.

Semi-Organization Men

July 31, 1939

The University announces that the “Men of 1011,” founders of the first semi-organized house for KU students, will move from their Indiana Street home into the original chancellor’s residence at 1345 Louisiana.