Sign Up Twitter

Architecture

Snow’s Day

June 8, 1930

Present-day Snow Hall is dedicated, replacing the original Snow Hall that had fallen into disrepair.

Lightning Strikes…Twice

March 22, 1898

Fire destroys KU’s engineering building and heating plant, prompting Kansas City businessman George A. Fowler to donate $18,000 to rebuild the facilities, which became known as the Fowler Shops.

The Chateau That Blake Built

March 11, 1893

The Kansas Legislature authorizes $50,000 for the construction of a new physics and electrical engineering building, a striking structure resembling a French chateau now remembered as “old” Blake Hall.

Fuller’s Brushes With Fame

March 11, 1886

Ferdinand Fuller, architect of KU’s first building and a member of the original party sent to Kansas by the Massachusetts Emigrant Aid Society, dies at his home near Lawrence.

“The Best That Could Then Be Had”

June 6, 1872

The Fort Scott Daily Monitor glowingly describes KU's new University Hall (later Fraser Hall), asserting "There is no structure on the American continent … equal to this in size or surpassing it in adaptness for the purposes of higher education."

“A Force For Good Design”

July 5, 1857

Architect John G. Haskell, the prolific designer of scores of Kansas buildings, including five KU structures – two of which still remain – first arrives in Lawrence.