Sign Up Twitter

Decades

1940 - 1949 (34 articles)

Logan’s Run

January 31, 1945

Dr. Logan Clendening, a leading medical historian, a newspaper columnist appearing in 383 newspapers, and author of one of the best selling medical books of the 20th Century (The Human Body), dies in Kansas City.

Orange You Just Crushed?

January 1, 1948

The football Jayhawkers become the first college team from the state of Kansas to play in a bowl game, squaring off against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

The Lime Of Their Lives

January 24, 1942

The KU Endowment Association announces acquisition of the house that will become Jolliffe Hall, a building that will serve variously as a residence hall for undergraduate men and women, and be slathered in lime green paint for much of its existence.

Rising Son

February 23, 1948

At the age of 32, Dr. Franklin D. Murphy – a son both of KU and of a Medical School “founding father” – agrees to become dean of the University of Kansas School of Medicine, the youngest man in the nation to hold such an office.

Rx For Rural Health Care

February 18, 1949

The “Rural Health Program for Kansas,” a measure conceived by KU School of Medicine Dean Franklin Murphy to provide underserved Sunflower State communities with additional physicians and other medical professionals, is signed into law by Kansas Governor Frank Carlson.

Artful Lodgers

January 22, 1946

Amid a post-World War II campus housing crunch, the University Daily Kansan reports that 80 male students – nearly all returned veterans – will soon move into the basement of present-day Spooner Hall, then known as the Spooner-Thayer Museum of Art.

Hall To The Chief

March 6, 1947

The University of Kansas signs a lease for a new residence hall that will take the name of a famed Kansa chief – thanks to a set of hand-me-down silverware.

Chant’s Encounters

February 4, 1941

The Rock Chalk Co-op, housing approximately 25 men in a rented Rhode Island Street home, begins its formal existence in time for the start of spring semester 1941 classes.

Marry On

April 18, 1941

The KU School of Medicine drops its prohibition against marriage for nursing students.

A Bunch Of SOBs

October 8, 1949

The University announces that a recently acquired Louisiana Street home will be called Oliver Hall, in honor of KU’s first chancellor, paving the way for it to become part of a two-house complex known as Sterling-Oliver that will join KU’s scholarship hall system.

“An Advanced Case of Bibliomania”

October 8, 1949

KU comes into uncontested control of one of the world’s foremost ornithological libraries—its first major acquisition of rare books—when the Kansas Supreme Court rules that an agreement signed more than four years earlier by Ralph Ellis, Jr. is valid as a will.

Barn Dormers

September 26, 1949

Following more than two months of heavy labor spent converting a former horse barn into a livable student residence, a dozen KU men move into what will become known as the Hill Co-op.

Woman With A Mission

February 1, 1949

E. Jean Hill takes on the goal of gaining accreditation for the baccalaureate program in nursing at the University of Kansas School of Medicine.

Hollow Be Thy Name

June 29, 1948

The Summer Session Kansan reports that the Sleepy Hollow women's residence hall will become the new home of the Don Henry Co-op.

Bleacher Creature

November 15, 1946

Male students begin moving into makeshift quarters underneath the east-wing stands of Memorial Stadium, an emergency post-World War II housing arrangement known as McCook Hall.

“We Were Out to Save the World”

October 9, 1946

The University Daily Kansan reports the opening of a new cooperative living residence on Massachusetts Street named after KU student Don Henry, who had been killed while serving with the Loyalist side in the Spanish Civil War.

Divine Provenance

October 3, 1946

The University Daily Kansan reports that a Vermont Street church has become a temporary men’s student residence.

A Short Stay for Tipperary

August 16, 1946

KU formally announces that the Kappa Sigma fraternity house will cease its temporary wartime function as a women’s dormitory known as Tipperary Hall.

Independents’ Hall

May 22, 1946

Kansas Governor Andrew Schoeppel announces that KU will receive a surplus US Army barracks building, a structure that will become the 160-man dormitory known as Oread Hall.

Ladies Of The Clubhouse

September 24, 1945

A portion of the Lawrence Women’s Club becomes a temporary student residence hall during KU’s post-World War II housing crunch.

Cut The Caps

September 29, 1944

Forty World War II veterans, enrolled as freshmen at KU, refuse to don “freshman caps,” thus marking the beginning of the end of this controversial, decades-old tradition.

Close Quarters

September 28, 1943

Hillcrest House, located less than a block from KU’s campus, formally begins its run as an “organized house” for independent women students.

Indiana’s Zone

October 2, 1942

The University announces that a newly acquired residence hall at 1011 Indiana Street has been named in honor of former longtime KU English professor Dr. Edwin M. Hopkins.

Band Of Brothers And Sisters

May 10, 1942

The US Army’s 77th Evacuation Hospital Unit, composed of volunteer doctors and nurses primarily from the KU School of Medicine and its Bell Memorial Hospital, is officially activated for duty in World War II

Priority Won

December 12, 1941

After obtaining a federal priority rating by agreeing that Lindley Hall would “assume defense tasks” for the duration of World War II, KU begins work on the construction of its new mineral industries building.

Sayonara, Baby

December 10, 1941

The University Daily Kansan responds to Japan’s bombing of Pearl Harbor with a scathing editorial titled, “An Open Letter to Hirohito.”

Four For Moore

September 19, 1941

1121 Ohio Street becomes the first of four Mount Oread-area men’s housing cooperatives that will bear the name of John Moore.

“An Old Friend”

June 26, 1940

KU begins renovations that will transform the former official chancellor’s residence at 1345 Louisiana Street into a men’s scholarship dormitory known as Carruth Hall.

Templin On The Mount

June 10, 1940

University Chancellor Deane W. Malott announces that a recently acquired mansion being transformed into a men’s scholarship hall will be named in honor of Olin Templin, longtime KU administrator and professor.